Sunday, April 12, 2009

Butterick 8056




This is an 'inspired by' frock. I saw a similar frock at H&M when I was in Los Angeles. (I won't link to the H&M website, there's not much there and it's a slow-to-load flash site. Why do fashion retailers love flash so much?) I would have bought it if it hadn't been too short. No problem, I thought, I'll knock it off. I went through the pattern stash and found Butterick 8056 which was pretty close to what I was looking for. As I was using a knit, I folded out the darts, apart from the bust darts, and left out the zip.

The H&M frock had a waist seam, but I didn't do that because it would have added bulk in this double knit fabric. The shoulder buttons were what made the dress in my opinion; I used green ones I bought in the LA fashion district, the original frock was black with black buttons.

3 comments:

moggyo said...

Oh, very nice! I must use more buttons, since I seem to keep buying them...

Carol said...

This is a great way to funk up an otherwise simple dress and add a bit of retro styling. Very nice indeed!

Chapeuzinho said...

Hi
De-lurking to say that is a fabulous dress! I really need a few dresses just like that! Any chance of lending me the pattern? A quick preliminary search turns up nothing in Aus.

Please?