Saturday, July 05, 2008

$5 knockoff

A couple of years ago, when shopping with Kitty in Sydney, I bought this $5 top. I really like the shape of it, and have been looking for a pattern to make myself another in plain black. The closest was a Jalie 2794 but those patterns are only available overseas and are quite spensy and it's not quite the same and so on.

So I decided to get the Kwik Sew 3338 that I've used before to make a plain long-sleeved t-shirt (I have decided that plain t-shirts, while practical, don't do much for me). I put the traced off pattern up against the $5 top and finangle it about to get the same shape. The front is one piece from the neck down and two side bits that go up to the shoulder seams.

Great explanation, isn't it?

Here's the result - I am rather pleased. One more tripfit done!
I
Note it didn't cost $5 - I used leftovers from something else and a pattern I already had.

5 comments:

kitty said...

I wear my $5 square neck t a lot too, especially for work. Imagine the shirts you can have now! Thank you for muslining this for me, muslin slave! Muwahahahahaha!

Cotton Picker said...

You did a great job!

The Mad Tatter said...

Brilliant job, Moggy!

livebird said...

Your smugness is utterly justified. Nifty. Now, run along and whip out another 5 or 6 for your closest commenting pals, please.

(Actually I reckon you'll like the Betina Whatsit pattern if this one floats our boat. Will bring for your perusal if I drop in next week.)

moggy said...

Livebird, you're on! Most interested to see how that one looks.