...I dreamt of having enough fabric, patterns, and haberdashery (I prefer that to 'notions') lying about the house so that I could make something that took my fancy at any given time, even on a Sunday!
(OK, so now they have Sunday trading, but still...)
Here is my quick 'n' dirty cummerbund - doesn't every girl have hook 'n' eye tape and featherweight boning lying about the house?
Luckily I am sure that the blackness of Cappy will hide the flaws and stray threads. I am sure the ends of the boning will make me sit straight all night!
PS this eBay seller is a good source of silk - and the stretch means you don't have to cut it on the bias - yay! I got some black stretch satin before and it is lovely - must make slippage from it forthwith.
Monday, November 27, 2006
but it was a lot more work than most frocks I make.
I used this McCall's shirt pattern, view D, but had to make a lot of modifications for Mr Matty:
1. Cut out a large, but tapered to a medium sleeve cap and armcye
2. Made the hem straight instead of tuck in tails
3. Made epaulettes and then forgot to put them in. Matty says he likes it better without
4. The cuff was WAY too big for the sleeve, so I took out most of one sleeve end pleat
5. Redrafted the front yoke to a pointy one
and yes, I used the snap setter. Didn't break any snaps, but must have been hitting too hard because I had to discard a few that went all squashy and wouldn't close over the other bit. No, I don't know what I mean either.
Oh dear, this is after a good pressing. Hopefully a wash will settle it a bit.
Posted by kitty at Monday, November 27, 2006